Sunday 14 April 2013

Bleaching Out

Do you ever have a card that isn't really working for you, but you go with it anyway? That happened to me recently. I wanted to try a technique using bleach that I had seen in the most recent Stampin' Success (a magazine for Stampin' Up demonstrators). I started with Basic Gray card stock and the Sweet Floral background stamp. Now that I'm writing this post I realize I should have taken progress photos....

Here's the "after": 


The bleach took the colour out of the Basic Gray card stock and left me with a neutral yellow kind of colour. It wasn't quite Very Vanilla but it wasn't So Saffron either. I was having some issues coming up with something to go with it so I thought about colouring the bleached parts. So I did. I used an Aquapainter, Old Olive, and Primrose Petals classic inks to colour in the image. I didn't like it at first. Not at all. But, it's started to grow on my since then.
 
 It's very difficult to see, but I spritzed the image with shimmer paint in a stampin' spritzer mixed with 70% alcohol. It adds a pretty shimmer in person.

One of my favourite elements of this card are the butterflies. I inked Sweet Floral stamp with White Stazon solvent ink and then stamped it onto vellum. I let it dry for a minute or two and then punched out two sizes of butterfly. I like the look of the pearls for the body.

This card was a challenge. I admit that 100%! What do you think? Is this a technique you might try? Just ink your stamp with a bit of bleach and touch it to the paper. Wait for it to dry completely and then colour it in with ink and an aquapainter.

Hope you have had a great weekend so far!

Tamara
 

No comments:

Post a Comment