Friday 11 October 2013

AYSI Challenge #006 - Antiquified

Really? Already? Another week has flown by (possibly because I've been sick with a nasty head cold for most of it) and it's time for another As You See It Challenge!

This week is another sketch! I made this card back in August (yes, us DT members are given a few weeks sketches in advance ;) so I've been waiting to share! 

First up, the sketch:


At Stampin' Up! Convention this past July, Pam Morgan, a SU employee, shared something pretty neat that I'd never thought of before. I'd seen it done in DIY but not in stamping. What am I talking about? Gilding of course! To be fair, this is a bit more than gilding ('cuz I think that's mainly when you just dip or do the edges) this is more like half submersion gilding.  I guess it would help if I showed you my card ;)

Here she be:


I had planned to give this card to my sister-in-law for her birthday back in September, but Melon Mambo (hot pink)  just isn't her. I could really use some purple embossing powder!

I really love everything about this card. It came together really quick, which is always a plus! The DSP is from Modern Medley...a must have. This paper is so versatile with it's feminine and masculine and plain stripe/dot prints. *word to the wise (unwise?). When I ordered this paper, I thought it was black and white. Turns out it's black and vanilla-now we're all wised up.)

Mmm mmm! Nothing says, "hello" like hello in Melon Mambo embossing powder! How fun is that?!? Even one friend who came to class who admittedly does not like this stamp, liked it after embossing it! It also ties in nicely with those....


 butterflies! I used both the Bitty Butterfly and the Elegant Butterfly punches and stuck on a few rhinestones. The largest b-fly is a black one first, then a Melon Mambo one on top with the wings gently folded to make it look like it's flying (or stuck to the card and trying to fly away).  

Let's talk about the doily.  It's a Stampin' Up! paper doily. I have a few packages of doilies. They are all "white" but one package is somewhere between white and vanilla. Remember above where we all got our wisdom on about the Modern Medley DSP being basic black and very vanilla? Well, the doily isn't quite very vanilla, but it's definitely NOT Whisper White! It's white anitiquified (is that a word?). It's not really a big deal as we embossed most of it anyways. To achieve this look:

1. Make sure you have just one doily (they like to stick together)
2. Apply versamark over half of the doily. Try not to have the straight edges of the pad. Blend a little.
3. Pour your embossing powder on in your choice of colour (I used silver here). 
4. Dump off excess (preferably back into the container to save the sacred powder and avoid it from getting blown away in step 5).
5. Heat set.
6. Admire your handiwork and give yourself a pat on the back. You just gilded something.

Here's one last look at today's creation:


 Hope you enjoyed today's card and easy peasy tutorial! Be sure to check back in often and PLAY WITH US at As You See It Challenge!

That's all for now!

Tamara

Stampin' Supplies:
Card Stock: Basic Black, Melon Mambo, Modern Medley DSP
Stamp Set: Four You
Ink: Versamark
Accessories: Melon Mambo EP, Basic Rhinestones, Paper Doily, Silver EP
Tools: Bitty Butterfly Punch, Elegant Butterfly punch, Heat Tool
 


 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment