Friday 15 February 2013

Kaleidoscope Blog Hop!



Thank you so much for joining us on our very first Kaleidoscope Stampers Blog Hop! We are very excited to share what we have been working on with you.

EEeeee! I'm so excited! It's my first ever BLOG HOP!! Our team, Kaleidoscope Stampers, is hosting our own. Why did we never think to do this before? I dunno. We just didn't. BUT then Danielle over at StampEnvy did and now this great thing is happening!

The theme of our hop is SPRING! As I'm writing this post, I can hear birds chirping outside and water dripping! Hopefully that means winter is on it's way out and spring is coming in!!

The card I'm sharing with you today was created for someone very special. My sister-in-law, Jessica, celebrated her 18th birthday recently. She's heading to France over March break and so I snuck in the Eiffel tower image from Collage Curios. Jessica loves anything vintage so that's the feel I was aiming for. I also wanted it to be complex and believe me, this card took me close to 2 hours! Mostly because I couldn't decide on colours, stamps, or ANYTHING. I am so happy with how it turned out though! I guess you kinda want to see it, huh?


I'm loving the ombre technique so I did that using water and Elegant Eggplant reinker. I forgot to write down how many drops I used for each dip but I think it was 2 drops, then add 4 or 5 more, then add 6 more. Something like that. I wanted it to be quite a dramatic spread of colour. I patiently let that dry held it up in front of my space heater and then used my heat tool to speed up the drying process. I may or may not have singed my fingers....


While my ink/water mixture was at it's deepest purple, I submerged 3 of the Vanilla Flower Trim flowers and then let them dry on a paper towel. They weren't as saturated with colour as I had wanted so I used my Elegant Eggplant marker and just lightly brushed it along the tops. The colour bled down as it was still a little wet and I was pleased with the result. I think I'll do that again sometime.


I flattened the bottle cap top in my Big Shot Die Cutting Machine using a piece of chipboard in between my cutting pads and on Tab 1 (same as how you use embossing folders). That squashed it. Then I punched out a circle with the 1" circle punch to fit inside. I stamped it first, then adhered it to the bottle cap using a couple glue dots.

I did some stamp-a-ma-jigging next (That's a real verb, ask Brian Pilling from SU! headquarters!). I love the images in Oh, Hello (Spring Mini) and thought it would be fun to have a chevron border along the bottom. I stamped off once before stamping on my page in Elegant Eggplant as I wanted to mute the colour a bit. The ombre canvas needed to be center stage.


I couldn't find a Happy Birthday sentiment that was the right size or style so I improvised. I really like it now though, as this card can be on display anytime and won't look odd. I would even frame it if someone gave it to me ;) (wink wink) In case you can't read it, the sentiment is, "Each one of us is God's special work of art.".

I hope you have enjoyed my portion of the hop today! If this is your first time here, don't worry, not all my posts are so wordy! I'm just excited...

Hope to see you again!

Tamara


Stampin' Supplies:
Stamp Set: Collage Curios, 
Card Stock: Elegant Eggplant, Canvas Creations, Whisper White
Ink: Elegant Eggplant reinker and Classic Ink pad, Jet Black StazOn, Elegant Eggplant Stampin' Write Marker

Accessories: Vanilla Flower Trim, Large size Bottlecap, glue dots, Chipboard (for Big Shot)
Tools: Big Shot Die Cutting Machine, Heat Tool, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Other: Tweezers, Water & container, paper towel
 

Hop on over to the next blog by the following the next link:




1. DesirĂ©e Spenst 



5. TamaraCasorso(you are here)



4 comments:

  1. Tamara - the ombre background is stunning! I love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would frame it too!! I LOVE everything about this card - the flower trim is my favourite!! It turned out so beautifully between dyeing it and markering (also a real verb)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are we doing this technique soon at a technique night? Stunning! Along with everything else on this card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sweet words :) I hope she'll frame it. Maybe I should have given her a frame for her birthday as a hint. Heather, we did ombre at class in January. Maybe I can sneak it in again soon. I love it, too!

    ReplyDelete